Friday, January 27, 2012

Diet Air Soup

I made a soup tonight that I'm gonna share with you because it's good, it's (sort of) vegetarian/vegan, and it's 174 CALORIES PER SERVING!! THAT'S LIKE DIET AIR!! It serves six very hungry people and you could literally eat the whole pot for less than a fast food meal!
I bought a bag of pasta a while back because it was adorable (the little stars like in your Chicken and Stars soup) but then became a vegetarian and didn't really feel like making chickenless free-range organic peta-approved chicken-flavored broth and stars soup. Kind of loses it's gusto, huh? So I was talking to my vegan friend, Bean, a few days ago about my diet and ways to substitute meat for un-meat and she brings up beans and the magical properties of them. After that, I made my dinner menu and it seems like everything I came up with has beans in it! I'm fairly certain after this week, with all the magical properties I'll be absorbing, I'm gonna reach a new level of vegetarian magic and start shitting rainbows!

1 cup dry star-shaped pasta (also called Stelle or Stelline..the brand I bought was Colavita)
1 can low-sodium kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes (I used Rotel tomatoes and green chilies)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced (anybody wanna make out?)
1 envelope vegetable beef soup mix (I couldn't find any vegetable)
6-8 cups water (depending on how soupy you like it)

In a large pot, saute your onions in as little oil as you can get away with. Add enough garlic to melt a clan of vampires and let that cook just a few minutes. Add your magic beans, tomatoes, soup mix and water. Let this simmer a little bit (20 mins or so?) and add pasta. Now, this adorable little pasta stuck to the bottom of my pan, for some reason, and I let it sit for too long and it swelled up into cosmic soup-eating sponges! I had hardly ANY water left in my pot! This is the third exclamation point I've used in a row!
When I make this again, I'll make the pasta separately instead of adding it to the soup. Also, 1 cup dry pasta makes a LOT of cooked pasta. It tasted fine but be prepared to have leftovers or make less.
I wanted to find some kind of vegetable soup mix to use as a flavoring and looked in the soup aisle and the seasoning aisle before finally finding this stuff. It's good and it's actually a little spicy, but it has a hint of beef in it. It's not like there's a steak floating around in there but the ingredients list "beef extracts" which makes me think there's like cow sweat or something in there. It's not technically vegetarian/vegan unless you use vegetable soup mix but I couldn't find any and since there's no meat added and it's just excrement of cow, I'm pretending it's vegetarian, k?
Moving on, I made myself a salad buffet to go with this. I chop my veggies as I buy them and store them all separately in tupperware in my fridge so it's easier to add them to my dishes. So I had a plate of salad (very little dressing) and a slice of garlic toast (the kind you buy in the freezer section) and had a very filling meal for 424 calories!!! DID YOU HEAR ME?! A WHOLE MEAL FOR 424 CALORIES!! THAT MAKES ME TYPE IN ALL CAPS!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm out in public reading this, which was a mistake because it looks weird for a woman to sit reading and laughing out of control. Oh well, your freaking funny as hell, write a cook book, seriously it will fly off the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debi and thatgirl! I always appreciate comments..especially encouraging ones!

    ReplyDelete